We could not operate The Evanston Hungry Children Backpack Program without the help of so many committed and faithful community volunteers. In 2014, our volunteers contributed many hours of their time and packed approximately 400 bags of food!
Our volunteer shift for packing the bags is Wednesdays 5:15pm – finished which is usually 45-60 minutes depending on how many bags are to be packed that week and what additional chores need completed.
How Can I Help?
Volunteer! Contact Lee Parker at 307-679-3001 or Irene Hansen at 307-679-2661.
Most of our volunteer jobs include sorting, inspecting and repacking food donations. You may be inspecting food items for damage, labeling repackaged food items, restocking bins and shelves or any other of a number of important projects! We do not assign volunteer jobs in advance since our food packing priorities can change weekly.
- Volunteers middle school aged and up are welcome.
- Some lifting may be involved – our boxes typically weigh between 10 and 20 pounds. Please tell us if
you cannot lift and we will assign you another activity.
- Some basic math is involved
- Volunteers must provide their own transportation to and from the packing center.
- Volunteers may not smoke in the facility.
- We do not accept court mandated volunteers.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
- Food and Fund Drives
- Community Educator with the Hunger Education Program